Thursday, May 22, 2014

Redwood Gun Fin

I received a template from Bill Thrailkill and all he asked is if I could make a fin that was 3/4'' thick.  Sure,  I'll give it a try.  The board he shaped had some Redwood in the stringer and he asked to find some wood to match.

The piece of wood I got is Old Growth Redwood which is the Holy Grail of reclaimed wood.  This particular piece is from a vat that was pulled apart and the wood is now saved from the dump.




First thing I did was jointed one edge and one side.  Then ran it through the thickness planer to get it into shape to be re-sawn.  Those holes are from termites.  Unenforceable consequence of old wood.  




Using the big bandsaw to cut a slice (re-saw) so I can have more wood later and not have it go to dust.



Cutting the outline


Sanded and ready for cheater coat


Finished

Fits pretty good


Foil
Birds eye view of the foil

No comments:

Post a Comment